Thursday, October 13, 2005

Holy Needles Batman!!!


When Village Pharmacy called to confirm shipping information to send my fertility drugs, I was surprised to find two boxes waiting for me...packed with so much stuff! It didn't hit me until I started pulling out all the needles and hormone concoctions, that what we're about to do is HUGE!!!!!!!! Although very exciting, a little overwhelming. I never take OTC pills and it's a RARE occassion if I take Ibuprophen to clear a headache. I only take Synthroid because I HAVE to. So, this will be interesting.

Gerry and I had our first consultation in Lexington, MA at the Reproductive Science Center. This was to sign a bunch of legal consent forms and to meet with Dr. Summers about Preimplantation Genetic Diagnois (P.G.D.). P.G.D. identifies genetic abnormalities in embryos. We found out today that couples who have genetic abnormalities, specifically with chromosomes #13 and #14, have nearly 65% of their sperm/eggs contaminated with this DNA deficiency. By using P.G.D. to test our embryos, we are given a 40% chance of conceiving. There is only a 5% chance of error using P.G.D. to check for contaminated embryos. This 5% error means that there may be no conclusive diagnosis/status of the embryo...of which we still have the option to implant and wait to "see what happens". DISAPPOINTING INFORMATION: we can go through all of this and end up not having ANY healthy embryos or only one because of the genetic factor. So please, keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

The most enjoyable part of the day was the conversation that Gerry and I had, thinking about names. To keep some positive energy going, I thought it would be nice to talk about it. Gerry tossed out Thomas Anthony (if we have a boy). He also threw out Mary, Gertrude or Geralyn (I crinkled my nose in disagreement). I agreed with him on Thomas Anthony or Thomas Bauer. For a girl, I am really attached to Olivia Marguerite. It was nice to dream out loud!

That's it for now! Hope you all are having a fabulous day!

8 Comments:

At October 13, 2005 10:58 PM, Blogger Fiddler said...

I like Thomas Anthony... I also like Marguerite... Fun to think of names and see which ones will appeal to both of you :) It is a huge journey you're embarking on, I'm glad you had some fun today in the midst of all the information coming at you...

 
At October 14, 2005 8:06 AM, Blogger Tonya said...

Yes, we did have some fun. Gerry was REALLY fabulous about the task he had to do as the first step in our treatment. :-) It was a good day!

 
At October 14, 2005 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Tonya!! That is quite a table full of stuff you have there. I am keeping you and Gerard in my thoughts and prayers. I am especially praying for Gerry to change his mind on names for girls. HA!

 
At October 14, 2005 5:03 PM, Blogger Tonya said...

YES woman! HELP me!!!!!!!!!! Of course, he doesn't have ALL the say....:-)

 
At October 16, 2005 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy needles, Batman!!! I think you may be able to convince Gerard to name the girl "Justine" - you just haven't given him the opportunity!!! ha!ha! I will keep all my parts crossed for you and Gerry as you start on your pregnancy journey . . . LOVE YOU, GIRL!!

 
At October 17, 2005 9:21 AM, Blogger Tonya said...

I'm going to change my title....I love "Holy Needles Batman"! Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts! Love you too!

 
At October 19, 2005 4:46 PM, Blogger Jaime said...

WOW. I am so overwhelmed for you! I am thinking and praying for a quick conception! :) You certainly deserve it! Just think... the pain of labor should be a piece of cake compared to all of those needles... eek!

 
At October 24, 2005 3:21 PM, Blogger Bek said...

oooh, i like olivia marguerite! God, I pray for conception for Tonya!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home