Monday, December 26, 2005

"Tacky Tourist"



My first experience with "tacky tourist" gift giving (T.T.G.G.) was quite hysterical. I knew NOTHING about T.T.G.G. and as I'm opening Christmas gifts from Gerry's sister the first year I married him, I kept trying to be excited about some really crappy looking things. I kept thinking, "Man, I thought Geniza had good taste". It wasn't until I noticed Gerry giggling and I asked why, that I was told that I was a victim of T.T.G.G.!!!!!!!!!! Everyone (including Gerry's father) in the family gets really creative in finding things AND we always leave the price tag on the item....for the good laugh.

So this year, I get this BIG box from Wes & Kathleen that is wrapped so nicely (I should have known) and I'm so excited about opening it. Well, to my unbelieving eyes, it's a Motorized Pink Flamingo. It's right leg and neck move. PRICELESS! Let's not overlook the Cactus Candle Holder (that I think Maureen will shortly receive). The bottle of Tabu came from my husband....I said, "Why Tabu"? He said, "That's the perfume you told me you wanted". I said, "Uh, no, the perfume was from Este Lauder...my grandmother wouldn't even wear this". He started to laugh and I'm already giggling. So, even Gerry tries to get tricky with me on this too! This all adds a new layer of fun to opening Christmas packages and keeps me laughing every year! Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!! Now your talent is posted world wide!

6 Comments:

At December 26, 2005 4:44 PM, Blogger Jaime said...

OH MY! Ummm... that pink flamingo is, well, pink. ;) And is that a PALM TREE NECKLACE?!? I've been wanting one forever... can I borrow it? ;) he he
Atleast the fam acknowledges that those things are "tacky" ... it would be much worse if they thought they were giving "good" gifts... he he

 
At December 26, 2005 5:13 PM, Blogger Tonya said...

Jaime, I'll let you BORROW the necklace and you can HAVE the Tabu...it might help keep Shawn away on nights that you're not in the mood for lovin'. HE, he, he!!!

 
At December 27, 2005 10:19 PM, Blogger Fiddler said...

Ahhh, finally the flamingo makes it to the blog! How much fun have you had with the ttgg! I LOVE it :)

 
At December 28, 2005 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Flamingo looks like something I might receive from my family!!!

 
At December 29, 2005 2:04 PM, Blogger Drea said...

Those gifts are to bad haha.
Ive seen far worst.
One time I got a brick... and some steelwool...

We always called it the White Elephant gift though.
Never heard of the PTT or whatever. Sounds like the same thing :-)

 
At January 02, 2006 6:54 PM, Blogger Tonya said...

How did it end up the White Elephant Gift? Our Tacky Tourist Gift Giving was created through traveling. When the family traveled together, it was a competition of who could find the tackiest tourist gift with the cheapest price....that's how T.T.G.G. was born!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home