Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Give Kids a Smile!

Last Friday, I had the honor and privilege to be a part of "Give Kids a Smile". This is a program that any dental office can participate. Just a little background about how this came to be such a BEAUTIFUL day....

As all of you know, I have only good things to say about Landmark Education. Every week for the last three months, I have been in one of the seminars they offer. This particular seminar was called the "EFFECTIVENESS" seminar. In this particular seminar, we were to design a project around a possibility and generate an intention from it. The possibility I created is: "Children are the future of the world". From that, my "intention" is to continuously discover ways in which I can contribute to the lives of children. I shared this with A LOT of people. That is what generated force behind filling a schedule at our office to see so many children. Pam G., Pam C., Peter and myself had six hygyienists (including my friend Nikki), as well as two doctors at our practice participating in this program. It was absolutely the most incredible experince. There were tears among all of us, to see children leave no longer in pain, with clean teeth and a smile! THANK YOU EVERYONE who contributed to this day and thank you Peter for being commited to making a difference for all those kids!

Even more AMAZING, my friend Jaime heard me sharing about my seminar and invited me to partner with her in a benefit dance/fundraiser for her neice, Camryn. Camryn recently went to Mass. General for surgery to remove part of a tumor from her pallet. Two years ago, she was diagnosed with facial fibrous dysplasia, a progressive disease that causes bony tumors to take over normal bone. She will need several more surgeries into her adult life.

A friend of the family, Ann Hammond, created a benefit dance in her honor. When Jaime asked if I was interested in going and participating, I asked, "What is the date"? She said, "February 2nd". I started to cry and explained that it was also the same day we were participating in "Give Kids a Smile". She and I then continued to cry at the irony of the date. Camryn has lost some of her baby and permanent teeth and will need future prothetics as her jaw/mouth develop.


The last report from Jaime's mother is that almost $10,000 had been raised to help cover medical and dental expenses!!!!! Ironically, that is the amount of free work we did at our office for all the kids that we saw! Strange how the Universe works sometimes!

I want to thank EVERYONE from the bottom of my heart, for all of your donations. This couldn't have happened without you being committed to making a difference in the lives of children!

I also want to acknowledge Miss Camryn, for her strength and positive attitude! You are a beautiful spirit! Thank YOU for letting me be a part of your life!

1 Comments:

At February 11, 2007 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tonya, good job! BTW, Ann H is a long time friend of my mom's, they grew up next door to one another... it's such a small world...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home